This gluten-free Sweet and Spicy Tri-Color Cauliflower recipe is the perfect side dish for fall! We eat with our eyes, right? So, what could be more beautiful than these roasted, multi-hued cauliflower florets with an Asian-inspired sauce?
Roasting cauliflower makes them so incredibly sweet, especially the colorful variety! Purple, orange, and green cauliflower florets are the star in this dish. They're a touch sweet from the maple syrup, but a little spicy from the sambal oelek (red chili paste).
Green, purple, and orange cauliflower heads can be found at select grocery stores. You can always use whatever variety is available for this recipe.
Roast these beautiful florets on a large sheet pan drizzled with oil, and sprinkled with salt and pepper in 400 degrees oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
We've used gluten-free soy sauce for this recipe, but original soy sauce will do if you don't have any gluten allergies. I’m betting the even the kiddies will eat this colorful side dish. Roasted cauliflower beauties on a plate -- what could be more enticing? More please!
Toss the sweet and spicy sauce over the cauliflower once roasted to coat. The final product is gorgeous! Almost too beautiful to eat! (Almost.)Print
- ½ head each purple, green and orange cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or spray
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (red chili paste)
- 1 large lime, freshly squeezed
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash the cauliflower and thoroughly dry on a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Cut or tear the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Spread cauliflower onto a large baking sheet and drizzle or spray with oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Toss for even distribution.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until just tender. Toss cauliflower halfway through to make sure both sides are cooked and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place all other ingredients in a small saucepan. During last 10 minutes of cooking cauliflower, sauté the sauce over medium heat to reduce and thicken.
- Remove cauliflower from oven when slightly tender. Place in a large mixing bowl and toss with sauce. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 843.7 mg
- Fat: 7.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.8 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Colorful Cauliflower, Sweet and Spicy Cauliflower