Spicy Fennel and Broccoli Slaw
This refreshing slaw is the perfect side for a spring or summer dish. It goes great with chicken, burgers, fish, or just about any protein! Use the leftovers on top of a salad!
- For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- For the Slaw:
- 1 medium fennel bulb, stalks removed
- ½ bag broccoli slaw mix (with carrots)
- ½ apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the fennel seeds, caraway seeds, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the fennel using a mandolin or sharp knife and place in a large mixing bowl. Add in the broccoli slaw mix, sliced apple, fresh lemon juice, jalapeño, red onion, and cilantro. Toss well and add the dressing coating evenly. Chill for an hour before serving.