This not-so-traditional Vietnamese Bánh Mì sandwich is crazy delicious! Made with slow cooker pulled pork, this delish dish actually has Chinese Five Spice seasoning for the rub, making it not-so-Vietnamese either! You can make the pickled veggies ahead of time for the topping. And, the pickled veggies make a great salad all by itself! Try serving this sammy open-faced for a twist, and to save some calories (I’m all about saving calories!). Or, go for the gusto and eat the whole loaf — it’s that good!
Add the pork shoulder to a slow cooker and walk away for four hours!
Pickled veggies are the crunchy topping to this yummy Bánh Mì sandwich!
- 4 pounds pork shoulder, fat trimmed, cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice powder
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce(or liquid aminos)
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- Sriracha aioli
- 2 loaves Báhn Mì bread, or thick loaf baguette
- For the Pickled Vegetables:
- ½ English cucumber, sliced very thin
- 3 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 4 large radishes, sliced very thin
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced very thin
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Place the pork in a large bowl and rub in the Chinese Five Spice until pork is completely coated. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, sherry, garlic, and ginger. Place the pork at the bottom of a slow cooker and pour the mixture over the pork, tossing to coat. Cook the pork on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. Stir halfway through. When the pork is finished, shred the pork with two forks, discarding any fat. Keep warm.
- While the pork is cooking, place the sliced veggies in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar to the veggies and stir to coat well. Let sit for 10 minutes to draw out the moisture. Rinse well and drain. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, water, and remaining 2 tablespoons salt and 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir until dissolved. Pour over the veggies and set aside for at least 1 hour.
- To make the aioli: Combine 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce with 4 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise.
- To assemble the Bánh Mì sandwich, slice the baguette in half and cut into evenly portioned sizes (about 3 inches). Spread the aioli on the bottom of the baguette. Layer with pulled pork, pickled veggies, and cilantro leaves.
Keywords: Slow Cooker Pork Sandwich, Bahn Mi Sandwich, Asian Pulled Pork Sandwich
Shop products featured in this recipe: