I swear, I could eat this coconut rice as an entire meal! It’s that freakin’ good! The flavors are outstanding, especially with the addition of the coconut flakes. And the lemongrass is just subtle enough. Serve it on the side with your favorite protein dish, like ANYTHING! It’s so easy to make with a rice cooker, but you can also prepare this as you would any rice on the stovetop. Yum, yum, and YUM!
- 2 cups jasmine white rice
- 2 1/2 cups good-quality coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into two-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Top with toasted coconut flakes for garnish if desired.
- Place rice, coconut milk, coconut water, salt, and pieces of lemongrass in a rice cooker. Cover tightly with lid and let cook until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and cooker turns off. Add in coconut flakes and stir. Cover and let sit on warm setting for 10-15 minutes. When ready to serve, discard lemongrass sticks and fluff rice with a fork. Garnish with more toasted coconut.
- To Toast Coconut: Place 3 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut in a frying pan over medium-high heat and “dry fry” until light golden brown.
Brown rice will not work for this recipe. Plain water can be substituted for coconut water.
Keywords: Coconut Rice, Rice Cooker