Fire up the grill!🔥 Here’s another great summer grilling recipe that’s fast and healthy! These mildly spicy Red Curry Salmon Kebabs have all of the flavor and none of the guilt! The marinade is the killer here: red curry paste, lime juice, honey, a little avocado oil, S&P. And that’s it!
These mildly spicy salmon kebabs are made with wild salmon for a few reasons: they’re firmer and hold up well under fire, and they are so much better for you than the farm-raised variety. My go-to for online salmon is Vital Choice Wild Salmon.
Where to buy wild salmon
- I often get my wild salmon from Whole Foods because they have such beautiful wild salmon. But I highly recommend Vital Choice, which sells fresh, wild-caught, sustainably harvested Alaskan salmon. And, it’s delivered to your door! How easy is that? Use this link to get 15% off all Vital Choice Reefnet Sockeye Salmon orders with code REEF19 at checkout.
- Flash-frozen salmon is at the peak of freshness so it’s often the best choice. Sometimes “fresh” salmon behind the seafood counter has been previously frozen. You’ll get the freshest, mildest fish with the least fishy taste if you opt for frozen salmon.
Cube the salmon into about one-inch cubes depending on the types of skewers you use. I put a slice of red onion in between each piece of salmon, but you can use whatever veggie(s) you’d like to add.
How to make this salmon recipe
- Soak 6 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Doing this prevents the wooden skewers from burning. You can use steel skewers as well which do not require soaking.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste with 2 tablespoons avocado oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon honey, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro. Add the salmon cubes and toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (or Sriracha sauce), remaining lime juice, remaining cilantro, and season with salt.
- Heat stove-top grill pan or an outdoor grill on medium-high heat.
- Remove skewers from water. Thread the salmon onto 6 skewers, leaving a 1/4 inch between the cubes. Grill over moderately high heat, turning carefully, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 8 minutes total. Drizzle the kebabs with the spicy aioli sauce.
Thread the salmon pieces onto wooden skewers that have been soaked in water beforehand to prevent from burning. Use whatever veggies you have on hand to grill along with the salmon.
Grill the salmon skewers over medium-high heat on a grill pan or an outdoor grill for around 8 minutes total. Don’t flip too soon or they will stick to the grill!
Serve with your favorite side like these Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Shiitake Mushrooms, or simple white rice. These Brussels sprouts are an easy but impressive Asian-inspired side dish for the salmon. Quick and simple to cook, this recipe is fresh and flavorful and perfect for weeknight meals.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Grill the salmon skewers over medium-high heat on a grill pan or an outdoor grill for around 8 minutes total. Don’t flip too soon or they will stick to the grill!
- If you can’t find wild salmon, use whatever salmon is available but try to find a thick piece. Otherwise, the salmon will slide off the skewers.
- I like to drizzle the salmon when ready to serve with a mildly spicy aioli sauce made with a mixture of low-fat mayonnaise and sambal oelek. You can substitute the sambal with sriracha sauce as well.
If you like this recipe, you’re going to love my Asian Rubbed Salmon! It’s melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
SUGGESTED WINE PAIRING
2019 L’Original Rosé, Provence, France. Scout & Cellar Wine. Fresh and expressive with notes of wild strawberry, peach, honeysuckle and white flowers and a round finish.
SCOUT & CELLAR WINES ARE GROWN NATURALLY & BOTTLED CONSCIOUSLY
Scout & Cellar is more than just a wine; it’s an invitation to experience wine as nature intended: Our wines are Clean-Crafted, grown naturally and bottled consciously.♻️ Pure, honest and downright delicious! Scout & Cellar is here to offer a cleaner, healthier, altogether better wine experience to everyone!
Clean-Crafted Means…. Wines that are grown without synthetic pesticides vinified with NO modification, no added chemicals preservatives or pesticides, and no added sugar, ever! No added anything. Just pure, clean wine! AND delivered to your door by Scout & Cellar!
Update Notes: This post was originally published on April 25, 2017, but was republished with slight text changes and additions, new photos, step by step instructions, and tips in May 2019.Print