This had to be my all-time favorite soup from my recent trip to Southeast Asia — Thai Clear Soup! In fact, this is what I ate for breakfast every morning at the fabulous Khwan Beach Resort in Koh Samui, Thailand. Could not wait to come home and recreate it for all of you, so here’s my version of Thai Clear Soup with Chicken and Tofu. It’s ridiculously healthy, but very hardy.
This is a noodleless soup which equals no guilt! And it couldn’t be easier to make. Literally took me only 45 minutes! This version has chicken and silken tofu, but it’s traditionally made with minced pork and egg tofu. You can use whatever you have on hand. I’m so happy I was able to enjoy this soup in Thailand since there was a TON of eating that took place there. What a treat it was to eat authentic dishes in Asia!
So healthy, but also hardy, this Thai Clear Soup is loaded with good-for-you ingredients like bok choy, garlic, carrots, green onions, and herbs.
Bok choy is a main ingredient of this soup with it’s leafy greens. But use the stalks as well because they add a nice crunch to the dish.
Loads of fresh veggies are nestled into this Thai Clear Soup. The herbaceous cilantro and parsley give this soup a wonderful fragrance!
You’ll be ladling up seconds and thirds of this Thai Clear Soup. We made this with chicken and tofu, but it’s popular in Thailand with minced pork.
This Easy Thai Clear Soup is loaded with veggies, chicken and tofu. It’s so healthy, full of flavor and super easy to prepare!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tablespoon Maggi Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 bunch bok choy, leaves and stems, chopped
- 3 green onions, large slices
- 1 cup fresh parsley, stemmed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 1 14-ounce package silken tofu, cubed
- 1 large boneless-skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic slices to the pot and sauté until fragrant. Add the sliced carrots and sauté until both start to soften. Pour in the chicken broth and stir. Add in the Maggi seasoning, fish sauce, and white pepper. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and partially cover for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and add in the bok choy, green onions, parsley, and cilantro. Stir until wilted, about three minutes. Right before you’re ready to serve, add in the tofu and chicken. The chicken will cook quickly in the hot broth, about 5 minutes. Stir the soup thoroughly and serve immediately.
- Optional: Serve with steamed white rice.
Keywords: Asian Soup, Thai Chicken and Tofu Soup, Easy Asian Soup, Chicken Soup, Healthy Soup
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #AsianCaucasianBlog. We’d love to see your pics on Instagram and Facebook!
If you liked this recipe, try our Miso Chicken Noodle Soup