This classic Thai Basil Chicken dish from Thailand is beyond easy to prepare! It takes only 20 minutes to make this spicy, saucy chicken dish that is stir-fried in heaps of garlic and Thai basil!
So happy to share this super quick Asian-inspired recipe from fellow food blogger, Melissa Belanger, with Simply Whisked. This recipe calls for chicken, but try different proteins like tofu, pork or beef and the results will be the same -- beyond delicious!
The marriage of sweet, spicy and salty flavors will have you loving how easy it is to make this classic Thai Basil Chicken dish!
What is Thai basil?
So what's different about Thai basil? The Thai variety is known for its purple stems and has a stronger flavor and aroma with hints of licorice, cinnamon, and mint. If you can't find Thai basil in your grocery store, try substituting with regular basil or mint.
Thai basil is known for its purple stems and has a stronger flavor and aroma with hints of licorice, cinnamon, and mint.
TIP: If you can't find Thai basil in your grocery store, try substituting with regular basil or mint.
Serve this Thai Basil Chicken with a side of steamed rice (Jasmine rice works best!) and garnish with more basil. A wonderfully flavorful dish for your whole family!Print
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (or tenders), thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic (about 8 garlic cloves)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 cups fresh Thai basil leaves
- Steamed white rice
- In a large bowl, stir together sliced chicken, oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar until evenly coated. Set aside and allow chicken to marinate while preparing the rest of the meal.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and sauce and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add basil leaves and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until basil leaves have wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with a side of steamed white rice and garnish with more basil.
This recipe was created by: Simply Whisked
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 610.1 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Protein: 35.2 g
- Cholesterol: 110.3 mg
Keywords: Asian Chicken, Chicken Recipe, Healthy Asian Recipe, Spicy Chicken, Thai Basil, Thai Chicken