Baby, it’s cold outside! Warm up your tootsies with this super easy Pumpkin Coconut Soup! I literally made this in 30 minutes! Need I say more? It’s seriously healthy too, no fat in this bowl of goodness!
There are so many fragrant spices in this Easy Spiced Pumpkin Soup recipe, plus the sweetness from the pumpkin purée and a dash of brown sugar combined with the heat from the Thai chili pepper is so incredibly satisfying!
Pumpkins really work wonderfully in this comforting bowl of soup! Grab two cans of pumpkin purée and get cooking!
Toast the raw pumpkin seeds with a sprinkle of salt and sriracha seasoning!Print
This super Easy Spiced Pumpkin Soup recipe is so tasty and full of flavor. It’s sweet and spicy with just a touch of heat from the Thai chili peppers!
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red Thai chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 15 oz. cans pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Dollop of low-fat sour cream
- Toasted sriracha pumpkin seeds for garnish (recipe below)
- Melt the coconut oil in a heavy Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili pepper. Sauté until fragrant and onions are translucent. Stir in the curry powder, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and salt until well blended with the sautéed vegetables about 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock, coconut milk, pumpkin purée, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, purée the soup until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Add in the pepper and more salt if necessary. Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- To make the toasted sriracha pumpkin seeds:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1 cup of raw pumpkins seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray the pumpkin seeds with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and 1 teaspoon of sriracha seasoning. Toss well to coat. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until browned and toasted. Let cool.
Thai chili peppers can be replaced with red chili flakes. Sriracha seasoning can be replaced with adobo seasoning. For vegetarian, you can substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
Keywords: Pumpkin Soup, Easy Pumpkin Soup, Spiced Pumpkin Soup, Asian Pumpkin Soup
Shop products featured in this recipe: