You usually don’t think about cheese in the same sentence as Asian food, right? But hold that thought! This killer recipe is comfort food in its purest form! Wait until you try my Creamy Kimchi Mac and Cheese! Cheesy, gooey goodness with a slight kick and crunchy topping, the flavors are amazing. I’m a cheese freak (ask anyone) so the more the merrier, and this recipe features FOUR different cheese varieties! I could hardly control myself from eating an entire block of cheese or two while I was making this for the blog :). The dish came together so quickly which means “winner for dinner!” Kimchi is the secret ingredient in this dish and can be found at most grocery stores these days, but just in case here’s a link to buy Kimchi. There’s enough food in this recipe for leftovers, but I’m sure there will be several helpings on the first night. Just sayin’!
Creamy, cheesy goodness is all I can say about this killer Creamy Kimchi Mac and Cheese recipe!
Four cheeses, yes FOUR cheeses are what makes this mac and cheese dish so spectacular! You can’t just eat one serving. Trust me!
Boil the elbow pasta until al dente and drain. All the goodies come together so fast, and then bake in the oven for a perfect Creamy Kimchi Mac and Cheese!
This gorgeous bowl of Creamy Kimchi Mac and Cheese will become a family favorite.Print
Creamy Kimchi Mac and Cheese has just the right amount of spice and gooey, creamy cheese!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cups Panko bread crumbs (optional gluten-free)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 ¼ cups shredded Havarti cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 ¼ cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large Dutch oven or stock pot with water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter and add the garlic. Sauté until melted and stir in the Panko bread crumbs. Stir until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove bread crumbs from the pot and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir frequently until sauce has thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the four cheeses, kimchi, all of the spices, green onions, and cilantro, making sure the cheese is fully melted. Toss in the pasta to thoroughly coat with the cheese mixture, and top evenly with the Panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle with paprika and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until bubbly and slightly golden brown.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 854
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 1111.5 mg
- Fat: 43.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 76.4 g
- Protein: 38.5 g
- Cholesterol: 130 mg
Keywords: kimchi mac and cheese, macaroni cheese, how to make macaroni and cheese, easy mac and cheese recipe, kimchi, vegan kimchi, korean recipe, mac and cheese recipe
If you liked this recipe, try our Cauliflower Kimchi Fried Rice.