Here’s an awesome guest post from my food blogger friend and fellow Atlantan, Amy Duska, with Amy in the Kitchen. These vegetarian Asian Style Tofu Burgers are to die for! Even if you’re not a tofu fan, you will probably dive into these burgers, especially since they’re super healthy but full of flavor.
With the use of bold seasonings and fresh toppings this Asian Style Tofu Burger is gonna knock your socks off! You should use the extra-firm tofu for these burgers because they will hold up much better than soft or firm. Top off this tofu burger with your favorite veggies and this spicy soy Sriracha BBQ sauce (and a side of sweet potato fries, of course!). You gotta give tofu a try!
This Asian Style Tofu Burger from Amy in the Kitchen is loaded with flavor. The added fresh ginger, ground ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander and soy sauce to the crumbled tofu gives it an extra bold flavor. You cannot taste the tofu at all! Top it off with this very simple Asian Style BBQ sauce, it’s tangy and sweet and tastes amazing on this vegetarian burger!
Tofu is a very nutritious food that we should try to eat as much as possible. Sometimes people get confused between natural tofu which is soybeans and soy protein isolate which is de-fatted soy bean flakes that have been washed with alcohol or water. Soy protein isolate is found in processed foods such as the veggie patties and fake meats that you find in the frozen section. This is the “soy” that you want to stay away from. It’s heavily processed and full of chemicals. I often buy my tofu at Trader Joe’s because I like their extra-firm sprouted tofu which holds up nicely in burgers.
Give tofu a try! You won’t be disappointed by this amazing tasting Asian Style Tofu Burger!Print
With the use of bold seasonings and fresh toppings here’s an Asian Style Tofu Burger that’s gonna knock your socks off!
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (powder)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- TOPPINGS (OPTIONAL)
- sliced red onion
- sliced tomatoes
- ASIAN STYLE BBQ SAUCE
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup Catalina or French dressing
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (powder)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Remove excess liquid from tofu by placing it in a colander that is over a bowl to catch the water. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the tofu. Put something with a little weight on top of the tofu. You can also tightly wrap the tofu in paper towels or a kitchen towel to remove the excess liquid. Let sit for at least 2 hours.
- Squeeze any remaining water from the tofu and break it up into the smallest pieces you can into a medium sized bowl. (You want it to look like a bowl of rice or quinoa.)
- Add the remaining ingredients and use your hands to really mix the ingredients.
- Form 4 to 6 tofu patties.
- Place the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the patties over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. You want them to be a nice golden brown. Remove the patties and place them onto a plate covered with a paper towel to drain the oil. Serve on your choice of bun and toppings.
- To make the BBQ sauce: Place ingredients into a small bowl and stir until full combined. Use to top burger.
Recipe from Amy in the Kitchen
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #AsianCaucasianBlog. We’d love to see your pics on Instagram and Facebook!
If you liked this recipe, try our Thai Turkey Burgers with Spicy Aioli.
Shop products featured in this recipe: