I happen to have acquired a taste for asparagus later in life, and never looked back! This recipe for Asian Grilled Sweet and Spicy Asparagus is definitely on point! It's a beautiful side dish that will definitely impress your party guests!
You're going to love the balance of flavors from the spiciness of the sambal oelek (red chili paste) and the sweetness from the sautéed bell peppers and shallots, plus a dash of brown sugar. All of this goodness is drizzled on top of perfectly grilled asparagus spears.
In my opinion, there's no true asparagus season, as you can eat these lovely green spears year round. So, are you an asparagus-lover or not?Look at these gorgeous green asparagus spears! These Asian Grilled Sweet and Spicy Asparagus grill to perfection, and the topping is so flavorful bringing out the sweet and spiciness of this easy side dish. YUM!
Blanching the asparagus spears first and then "shocking" it in an ice bath helps to retain its crispiness and beautiful green color.
Prep your veggies while the asparagus is blanching. I used fresh yellow and red bell peppers, shallots, garlic, and ginger.
Sauté the veggies in a frying pan until fragrant. Stir in the liquid and leave on a low heat until the asparagus is ready to be served.
Grill the asparagus spears in a grill pan until all sides have slight grill marks.
Plate the asparagus on a serving tray with a drizzle of the veggie sauce, and garnish with more almond slices and fresh cilantro. Your guests will be so impressed with this Asian Grilled Sweet and Spicy Asparagus side dish!Print
Beautiful grilled asparagus spears with an Asian sweet and spicy sauce are the perfect side dish!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (or gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (red chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the asparagus spears for 2 to 3 minutes. Quickly transfer the asparagus into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set on paper towels to dry. Sprinkle the asparagus with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sambal oelek, brown sugar, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a medium frying pan, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, stirring for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the shallots, bell peppers, and almonds to the pan, and sauté for 2 minutes. Keep on low heat. Add in the liquid mixture and stir until slightly thickened. Remove from heat or keep on very low.
- Spray a heavy grill pan with cooking spray and set on medium high heat. Grill the asparagus spears until grill marks appear, about 5 minutes, making sure to rotate the spears for even cooking. Place the asparagus on a serving tray and drizzle with the veggie mixture. Garnish with more sliced almonds and sprinkles of chopped cilantro.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 585.3 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Asian asparagus recipe, asparagus, grilled asparagus recipe, sauce for asparagus, grilled asparagus, how to cook asparagus, Asian style asparagus, asparagus, Asian side dish
If you liked this recipe, try our Spicy Edamame.