This hearty bowl of Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is the perfect belly-warming meal on a cold winter's day. There's so much goodness in this rustic, satisfying homemade soup recipe!
Many moons ago, early into my marriage, I found this Wild Rice Mushroom Soup recipe in my Cooking Light magazine. I mean decades ago! Well, it's never gone stale for me. I just love it and wanted to share it with you all.
I've altered this recipe slightly to give it more balance, but other than that it's the same old classic "skinny" version of wild rice mushroom soup. The texture from the wild rice and woodsy mushrooms really balances out the flavors in this super satisfying soup!
How to make this:
- Woodsy dried mushrooms are reconstituted in chicken broth for 30 minutes, reserving the mushroom liquid, then coarsely chopped for the soup. Fresh mushrooms are also used.
- A "mirepoix" of fresh carrots, celery, garlic, and onions are perfect for this soup! Simply sauté them with butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot, add in the chicken broth and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Pour the mixture back into the pot and add in the cooked rice. Cover and cook another 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Meanwhile, place the flour in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Add to the soup and stir until soup is thickened, about 5 minutes. When ready to serve, top the soup with crispy croutons and fresh thyme.
*[See recipe card for more detailed instructions.]
These woodsy dried mushrooms make up the base for this delicious homemade Wild Rice Mushroom Soup. Dried mushrooms are reconstituted in boiled chicken broth, and don't throw away that mushroom liquid because it's like liquid gold in this soup!
A beautiful "mirepoix" of fresh carrots, celery, garlic, and onions are so flavorful in this mushroom soup!
I've topped off this hearty bowl with crispy homemade croutons and sprinkles of fresh thyme. Gorgeous and chunky, top off this hearty soup with crispy homemade croutons and fresh thyme. This delicious bowl of Wild Rice Mushroom Soup will be in your family's recipe book for generations!Print
For the soup:
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth (reserve 1 cup)
- ½ cup assorted dried wild mushrooms (shiitake, porcini, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon rubbed sage (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
For the croutons:
- Fresh baguette bread for croutons
- Olive oil spray
- Salt & pepper
- Bring 1 cup of the chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan and remove from heat. Add the dried mushrooms to the saucepan and let sit for 30 minutes. Drain well, reserving the mushroom liquid. Coarsely chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a medium Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add in the garlic, onions, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add in the fresh mushrooms, salt, thyme, and sage. Stir until well-combined and add in the chicken broth and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place half of the mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Pour the mixture back into the pot and add in the cooked rice. Cover and cook another 10 minutes on a low heat. Meanwhile, place the flour in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Add to the soup and stir until soup is thickened, about 5 minutes. When ready to serve, top the soup with crispy croutons and fresh thyme.
- To make the croutons: Cut 1-inch cubes from a baguette loaf and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the cubes. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes until browned.
Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 500.5 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.7 g
- Protein: 10.4 g
- Cholesterol: 5.5 mg
Keywords: wild mushroom soup, healthy soup, hearty soup, fall soup