This Indonesian recipe for White Fish Cakes with Sriracha is especially delicious because my two nieces helped me make it! We used striped bass for the fish fillets. It’s delicate and flaky when cooked!
Of course, I love heat so if you’re not into that you can go easy on the sambal oelek. I prepared this recipe as an appetizer making mini-cakes, but this is great as a main course as well. Don’t forget the lemon on the side for that extra zing of citrus!
Thank you to my nieces, Darby and Jordan! It was a blast having you in my kitchen!Print
This Indonesian recipe for White Fish Cakes with Sriracha is delicious. I used striped bass for the fish filets. They’re delicate and flaky when cooked. Add Sriracha for heat and make as an appetizer or main course.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless white fish fillets
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass (white part only)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Roughly chop the fish fillets. In a food processor, pulse the fish to form small chunks. Set fish aside.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil on medium-high. Sauté the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, and ginger until translucent but not mushy, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine together the fish, cooked vegetables, sambal oelek, turmeric, cumin, green onions, mint, and beaten egg. Form into 3-inch patties and place on a baking tray.
- Wipe out sauté pan and add remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the fish patties to hot pan in a single layer and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes each side. Remove from heat and pat with paper towels. Drizzle fish cakes with sriracha sauce. Serve with lemon wedges and extra sriracha sauce on the side.
Sambal oelek can be found at select grocery stores and specialty Asian markets.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 126.7 mg
- Fat: 16.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.2 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 99 mg
Keywords: Fish Cakes, Asian Fish Cakes, Sriracha Fish Cakes