- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless white fish fillets
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass (white part only)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Roughly chop the fish fillets. In a food processor, pulse the fish to form small chunks. Set fish aside.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil on medium-high. Sauté the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, and ginger until translucent but not mushy, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine together the fish, cooked vegetables, sambal oelek, turmeric, cumin, green onions, mint, and beaten egg. Form into 3-inch patties and place on a baking tray.
- Wipe out sauté pan and add remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the fish patties to hot pan in a single layer and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes each side. Remove from heat and pat with paper towels. Drizzle fish cakes with sriracha sauce. Serve with lemon wedges and extra sriracha sauce on the side.
Sambal oelek can be found at select grocery stores and specialty Asian markets.
Keywords: Fish Cakes, Asian Fish Cakes, Sriracha Fish Cakes