White Fish Cakes with Sriracha
This Indonesian recipe is especially delicious because my two nieces helped me make it! We used striped bass for the fish fillets. It’s delicate and flaky when cooked. Any nice white fish will do! Of course, I love heat so if you’re not into that you can go easy on the sambal oelek. I prepared this recipe as an appetizer making mini-cakes, but this is great as a main course as well. Don’t forget the lemon on the side for that extra zing of citrus! Thank you, Darby and Jordan! It was a blast having you in my kitchen!
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless white fish fillets
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass (white part only)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Roughly chop the fish fillets. In a food processor, pulse the fish to form small chunks. Set fish aside.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil on medium-high. Sauté the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, and ginger until translucent but not mushy, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine together the fish, cooked vegetables, sambal oelek, turmeric, cumin, green onions, mint, and beaten egg. Form into 3-inch patties and place on a baking tray.
- Wipe out sauté pan and add remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the fish patties to hot pan in a single layer and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes each side. Remove from heat and pat with paper towels. Drizzle fish cakes with sriracha sauce. Serve with lemon wedges and extra sriracha sauce on the side.
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Grilled Baby Octopus with Nuoc Cham January 22, 2018
- Easy Thai Clear Soup with Chicken and Tofu January 9, 2018
- 10 Easy and Delicious Healthy Asian Soups January 8, 2018
- California Everything Bagel Sandwich January 1, 2018
- 10 Easy Asian Appetizers for New Year’s December 25, 2017
- Five Spice Pumpkin Bread December 18, 2017
- Miso Chicken Noodle Soup December 11, 2017
- Grilled Flank Steak Lettuce Cups with Nuoc Cham December 4, 2017
- Mixed Seafood Poké Bowl November 27, 2017
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017