Halibut is one of my all time favorite fish, and not because you can say that corny joke every time you cook with it! Halibut has a wonderful flaky texture that works with about any preparation.
This Asian-inspired recipe has won the hearts (and tummies) of my family and friends. Coating the fish with walnuts and Panko bread crumbs gives it a great crunch. Of course, I like to add more healthy ingredients, so I lay it on a bed of fresh baby spinach.
It’s a complete dish with rice on the side. You will not be disappointed with this yummy halibut dish! Bon appetit, “just for the halibut!” 🙂Print
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (red chili paste) or 1 Thai chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 4 6 oz. pieces of fresh halibut fillet, no skin
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped finely in food processor
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or white sticky rice, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a shallow sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté shallots and garlic until translucent, about 3 to 5 min. Add curry paste and sambal oelek, and cook until fragrant. Add chicken broth and coconut milk and simmer until reduced, about 5 min. Add salt to taste. Set aside on slightly warm burner.
- Heat other tablespoon of oil on medium high in large, oven-proof sauté pan.
- Combine chopped walnuts and Panko bread crumbs with generous amount of salt and pepper in shallow dish for dredging. In separate shallow dish add egg whites. Dip halibut fillets one by one into egg whites first, and then dredge in walnut mixture, shaking off excess. Sear all fish fillets just until crust is browned on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes. Keep in sauté pan and put pan in oven for another 10 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- To serve, arrange sauce at bottom of deep dish or bowl. Pile a handful of baby spinach on top of sauce. Top spinach with halibut fillet. Put scoop of rice on other side. Top with more sauce, chopped cilantro and squeeze of lime.
Sambal Oelek can be found at specialty Asian markets and select grocery stores.
Keywords: Walnut Halibut, Asian Halibut, Crusted Halibut