Don’t these look fancy? You can make these at home! Rice paper wrappers used to be hard to come by, but now they are sold at your local grocery store. I’ve even seen brown rice paper wrappers, which I would not recommend because they taste rubbery. You roll these just like a burrito: (how to wrap a spring roll). Here’s the great thing about these spring rolls — you can fill them with just about anything! I’ve used shrimp in this recipe, but chicken is a perfectly good substitute. Vegetarian rolls are also very tasty. Feel free to experiment with these! The spicy dipping sauce is the perfect condiment on the side. Go ahead, roll with it! Your dinner guests will be bragging on you for days!Print
- 8 large cooked shrimp, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 8 8.5″ round rice paper wrappers
- 2 oz. rice vermicelli or bean thread vermicelli
- 1 shredded carrot
- 16 large basil leaves
- 3 large lettuce leaves, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- In medium saucepan, add vermicelli to boiling water and remove from heat for 5 minutes. Drain water and set aside to cool.
- Working one at a time, soak spring roll wrappers in warm water for 15 seconds. Place on flat surface and working from bottom third of the wrapper arrange lettuce, carrots, handful of vermicelli, 2 basil leaves, 2-3 shrimp pieces, and sprinkle of sesame seeds. Rolling the spring roll like a burrito, fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the bottom of the wrapper to the top. Lay the finished spring roll on a tray lined with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Repeat with remaining wrappers. When all spring rolls are finished, cover the tray tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Cut spring rolls in half on an angle when ready to serve. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender until well blended. Serve on the side with spring rolls.
Make sure to have all of your ingredients ready to go before you start soaking the rice paper wrappers!
To toast the sesame seeds: Place in a skillet on the stove over medium heat and dry toast it until light brown. Don’t overcook.
Keywords: Shrimp Spring Rolls, Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce, Vietnamese Spring Rolls