Your palate will be singing with this traditional Thai seafood soup! Known for it’s spicy and sour flavor, and fragrant spices and herbs, shrimp is usually the main ingredient. I’ve changed it up a bit with the addition of chicken. But any seafood or protein will do. This soup is a staple in most Thai restaurants and I’ve taste-tested quite a few. My version is a healthy alternative to Tom Yum soup made with full-fat coconut milk. Make sure to read the ingredients before ordering when dining out. Or, just make this easy, healthy version at home!Print
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 stalks lemon grass, white soft insides only, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Thai chili peppers, seeds removed and sliced
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- Zest from 1/2 lime
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (fresh or dried)
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (red chili paste)
- 1 small can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4–5 button mushrooms, sliced very thinly
- Handful of snow peas
- 1 small can water chestnuts, drained
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced very thinly
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5–6 large basil leaves, chopped
- In a small pan, heat oil and add lemon grass, ginger, onion and chili peppers. Cook until just soft. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth, lime juice, lime zest, fish sauce, sugar, and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove kaffir lime leaves. Add in sambal oelek, tomatoes, cooked vegetables, mushrooms, snow peas, and water chestnuts. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken and shrimp cooking until just done, about 2 minutes, taking care not to overcook. Ladle into soup bowls. Top with fresh basil to garnish.
Can be served over rice noodles. Sambal oelek and kaffir lime leaves (fresh or dried) can be found at specialty Asian markets and select grocery stores.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 1445 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Protein: 35 g
- Cholesterol: 132.6 mg
Keywords: Lemongrass Soup, Lemongrass Soup with Chicken and Shrimp, Tom Yum Soup