- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1-2 Thai chili peppers (depending on your spice tolerance), seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, more for garnish
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine rice
- In a heavy pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onions, garlic, ginger, and chili pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, salt and cumin and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring to coat until lightly browned, for 3-4 minutes. Add chicken stock and cilantro.
- Whisk together the corn starch and water until dissolved. Stir into the pot, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until broth has thickened and chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add yogurt to the pot and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken on top of rice. Garnish with extra cilantro when serving.
- Don't have powdered curry? Use 3-4 tablespoons of yellow curry paste instead!
- Thai chili peppers are super hot! Depending on your spice tolerance, use only 1-2 peppers, and make sure to seed them first! If you can't fine these chili peppers, substitute with a 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or 2 large jalapeño peppers.
- Make it dairy-free! Use one 13.5-ounce can of full-fat (or light) coconut milk instead of yogurt.
- Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for the whole-milk yogurt. The dish will be a bit thicker.
- I used Jasmine rice, but feel free to use cooked white or brown rice as well.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 1283.3 mg
- Fat: 17.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.2 g
- Protein: 44.8 g
- Cholesterol: 132.1 mg
Keywords: Thai yellow curry chicken, Thai yellow curry chicken recipe, authentic Thai yellow curry chicken, yellow curry recipe with curry powder