Thai Curry Chicken
If you’re serious about cooking Asian food (or not!), you simply must have yellow curry powder or paste in your pantry! It’s really a staple for Asian/Indian food and worth the few bucks it costs to purchase it. Here, it’s used in this simple Thai curry chicken dish that screams comfort food! It’s the perfect accompaniment with white or brown rice and will warm your belly while putting a smile on your face. 🙂 Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 Thai chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, more for garnish
- ¾ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- In a heavy pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onions, garlic, ginger, and chili pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, salt and cumin and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring to coat, for 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and cilantro. Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add yogurt to curry and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve chicken on top of rice. Garnish with cilantro when serving.