This is an awesome borrowed recipe from my fellow food blogger and southern chef, Melissa Pelkey-Hass with The Front Porch Gourmet. This recipe is right up my alley! It’s loaded with Asian flavors and a little heat! Coconut soup is so easy to make — just add lots of veggies, some protein (she uses chicken in this one), and fresh herbs. Thanks for sharing, sweet Melissa!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (more if desired)
- 1 large lemongrass stalk, crushed
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- ½ pound thin sliced mushrooms
- 8 oz. bean thread noodles, cooked according to directions
- 3-5 shaved fresh red or green jalapeno peppers
- ¼ cups cilantro, chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, ginger, lemongrass, lime juice, and zest. Place over medium heat and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, add the coconut milk, stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the Thai chili sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and mushrooms and continue to cook until chicken is completely cooked. Discard the lemongrass.
- To assemble, place bean thread noodles at the bottom of a soup bowl and pour soup over top. Garnish with peppers and cilantro.
Shop products featured in this recipe:
One thing is certain, when you make this easy pork soup you will not be slaving in the kitchen all day! I used the leftover pork from my Chinese Five Spice Pork Tenderloin recipe to flavor the dish and provide the protein. Just make the broth, add in your veggies (shiitake and oyster mushrooms, garlic, carrots, and onions) and the flavorings. Layer it with yummy soba noodles and top it off with the pork and a soft-boiled egg. It’s even better tasting the next day! So, so good! Really healthy Asian noodle soup, no lie!
Soba noodles soak up the amazing flavors of this soup!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2½ tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cooked soba noodles
- 4 green onions, sliced (extra for topping)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (extra for topping)
- Sliced Chinese Five Spice Pork Tenderloin*
- 1 soft boiled egg, sliced in half
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy soup pot. Add the garlic and onion and cook 3 minutes. Stir in the carrots and ginger another 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes until onions are translucent. Pour in the chicken broth, soy sauce, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the green onions and cilantro.
- To assemble: Place the soba noodles at the bottom of a large soup bowl. Ladle in the soup. Add the pork tenderloin to the soup. Top with eggs. Garnish with green onions and cilantro.