Wow! Close your eyes when you eat this dish and you’ll swear you’re at a Thai restaurant! Chicken and cashews have never tasted better together, and yet it’s so easy for you to make in your own kitchen! This dish is bursting with authentic Thai flavors. Round it out with a side of Jasmine rice and a nice cold beer. Ahhhh!
- 3 to 4 Thai chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 medium shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind paste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 6 green onions, sliced about 1-inch
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ⅓ cup roasted unsalted cashews
- ½ cup fresh Thai basil leaves, or regular basil leaves
- To make the chili jam: Place chili peppers, 2 tablespoons oil, red bell pepper, garlic, and shallots in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Heat a wok over medium heat and add the chili mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add in the sugar and tamarind paste and simmer for 10 minutes until the jam thickens. Remove from wok and set aside in a small bowl. Clean out the wok.
- Reheat the wok over high heat and add the remaining oil. Stir-fry the chicken until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Add to the wok the green onions, cashews, fish sauce, and 4 tablespoons of the chili jam. Stir together until fully incorporated. Stir fry another 2 minutes and top with the basil leaves. Toss. Serve with a side of Jasmine rice.
Adapted from: Authentic Thai Recipes by Periplus Mini Cookbooks