Chilled soup is perfect for the spring weather! This Sweet and Spicy Chilled Carrot Soup will make your tastebuds explode with happiness! It’s flavored with tangy ginger, a little spice from red curry paste and red pepper flakes, lemongrass, and the all-important coconut milk for creaminess!
Make it vegetarian by substituting the chicken broth for veggie broth. We topped this soup with toasted pumpkin seeds with a hint of sriracha powder and toasted coconut flakes for a nice crunch combo. It’s simple and delicious, but packed with all healthy things!
Sweet and spicy, this Chilled Carrot Soup is flavored with curry, ginger, lemongrass, and creamy coconut milk!
Garnish the soup with toasted raw pumpkin seeds with a sprinkle of sriracha seasoning!Print
This Sweet and Spicy Chilled Carrot Soup will make your tastebuds explode with happiness! It’s flavored with tangy ginger, a little spice from red curry paste and red pepper flakes, lemongrass, and the all-important coconut milk for creaminess!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 cups low-fat chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 can light coconut milk (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer layer removed, cut in half, and pounded with a meat mallet
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1 lime
- Sriracha toasted pumpkin seeds for topping
- Toasted coconut flakes for topping
- Heat the canola oil over a heavy stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic and onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots to the pot and continue to sauté until carrots begin to soften, about 5 more minutes. Add in the ginger, soy sauce, curry paste, chicken broth, and coconut milk. Stir together until well-combined. Toss in the lemongrass, red pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil. Add in the lime juice and lower to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and discard lemongrass stalks from the soup using a slotted spoon or kitchen tongs. Use an immersion blender (or blender) to puree the soup until smooth. Let cool completely before placing in the refrigerator or serving room temperature. Top the soup with sriracha toasted pumpkin seeds and toasted coconut flakes.
To make the toasted sriracha pumpkin seeds:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1 cup of raw pumpkins seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray the pumpkin seeds with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and 1 teaspoon of sriracha seasoning. Toss well to coat. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until browned and toasted. Let cool.
To make the toasted coconut flakes:
- Dry toast the coconut flakes in a pan on a low heat on the stove until lightly browned.
Adapted from: thefullhelping.com
Keywords: Asian soup, chilled soup, carrot soup, summer soup recipe
Shop products featured in this recipe: