Are veggie noodles a trend? I really hope they’re here to stay! Get creative with the different varieties of veggie noodles, like this healthy, vegetarian Sweet Potato Noodles dish with tofu, shiitake mushrooms, and a spicy Asian peanut sauce.
If you want to save time, you can buy the already spiralized sweet potatoes at Whole Foods (and other grocery stores) that now sells Hungry Root’s products in the produce section! So damn easy!
I used my handy spiralizer for the sweet potatoes. It’s so easy!Print
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 (8 oz.) block extra-firm tofu (drained, dried and cubed)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red Thai chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Peel the sweet potatoes and make spaghetti-like noodles using a spiral vegetable cutter. Set noodles aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high in a wok or heavy skillet. Add the tofu and brown on all sides. Remove the tofu and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and sauté the garlic, onion, and red bell pepper until softened. Add in the Thai chili pepper and shiitake mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms are slightly browned. Stir in the tofu and sauce. Cook for 3-4 minutes and toss in the sweet potato noodles, green onions, cilantro, and basil stirring until al dente and coated well, about 2 more minutes. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds to garnish.
- Sauce: Put all ingredients, except lime juice, in a small saucepan over low heat. Add water and whisk until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice until well combined. Makes 2/3 cup. (Can be stored in container in refrigerator for 2-3 days.)
Keywords: Vegetarian Noodles with Tofu, Sweet Potato Noodles with Tofu,
If you liked this recipe, try our Thai Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp Meatballs