This 30-minute Surf & Turf Valentine’s dinner is easy and elegant. Grilled Flank Steak and Seared Scallops are sure to WOW and make any evening special!
For the marinade:
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai chili peppers, seeded and sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped or sliced
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds flank steak, cleaned of fat
- 16 large sea scallops
- Cooking spray
Make the marinade:
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small glass bowl.
- Whisk together until well combined. Set aside 1/4 cup of the marinade. Set both aside.
- Place the flank steak in a large glass baking dish, or plastic sealable baggie. Pour the marinade over the flank steak and let marinate for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the small muscle from the sea scallops. Place the scallops in a glass bowl and pour the marinade over to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove the steak and scallops from refrigerator and let it get to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Pat the steak and scallops with a paper towel to remove most of the moisture.
- For the flank steak: Using an outdoor grill, or grill pan, coat with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Grill the steak for about 6 minutes each side, or until cooking to medium. Test with a meat thermometer,
- Remove steak to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Slice the meat across the grain.
- For the scallops: Heat a heavy cast-iron skillet over high heat. Sear the scallops until just done, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Place the reserved marinade in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, keeping marinade warm.
- Serve the flank steak and scallops on a plate with a side of greens, or your vegetable of choice!
- Letting the flank steak and scallops marinate in this flavorful Asian marinade is key to the flavor in this dish. Don’t rush it!
- Patting dry the flank steak and scallops before grilling will ensure nice grill marks and a perfect sear!
- Make sure the grill pan and cast iron pan are very hot before cooking! Use a meat thermometer to make sure the flank steak is perfectly cooked to your liking.
- Save some of the marinade for heating and drizzling over the dish!
- Serve this with your favorite side salad or vegetable of choice.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 1161.6 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.1 g
- Protein: 55.3 g
- Cholesterol: 136.9 mg
Keywords: surf and turf menu, surf and turf date night, scallops valentines day, romantic steak and scallops