Roasted and stuffed acorn squash could not be easier! The ground turkey and brown rice filling combined with the sweet acorn squash makes this a winner of a dinner!
- 3 large acorn squash, sliced in half and seeded
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey (lean if preferred)
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- ¼ cup shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (green parts only)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the fleshy part of the acorn squash and place the squash halves on a baking sheet cut side down. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the flesh is slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet on medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of the oil and brown the turkey for about 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and sauté the garlic and shallots for 2 minutes. Add in the shiitake mushrooms and cumin and sauté another 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, and fresh thyme. Stir well to combine and add to the mixing bowl with the turkey.
- Using a spoon, remove some of the flesh from each acorn squash half to make the cavity slightly larger. Add the removed flesh to the mixing bowl mixture and toss to combine. Take equal portions of the filling from the mixing bowl and place into the cavity of each acorn squash half.
- Place the baking tray back into the 400 degrees oven and cook for 20 minutes. Top each acorn squash half with sprinkles of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Put back in the oven and cook another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- When ready to serve, garnish with the chopped green onions.
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash ground turkey, acorn squash, rice stuffed acorn squash, main dishes with acorn squash