- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon black soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ pound top round steak, cut into thick strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Steamed brown rice for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together hoison sauce through red pepper flakes. Add meat to bowl and marinate for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
- In a large wok, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat and add beef strips. Cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes, being careful not to overcook. Reserve the leftover marinade. Remove beef from wok and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to wok over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, garlic, and ginger, stirring for about 4 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the broccoli florets and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Toss in the beef strips and leftover marinade. Cook another 1-2 minutes until heated through. Serve over brown rice. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Black soy sauce can be found at specialty Asian markets. You can leave this out, if desired, and double up on the soy sauce.
To toast the sesame seeds: Place in a skillet on the stove over medium heat and dry toast it until light brown. Don’t overcook.
Keywords: Beef and Broccoli, Stir Fry Beef, Asian Beef and Broccoli