Smoked bacon is killer in this easy, yet elegant, Asian-inspired Steamed Mussels with Smoky Bacon recipe. This delicious dish is on the table in just 20 minutes!
- 5 ounces smoked bacon (like Hatfield’s Classic Hardwood Smoked Bacon)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 large Thai chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- Juice from 1 lime (divided)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or butter)
- 3 1/2 pounds PEI mussels, rinsed, scrubbed, and debearded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Slices of toasted bread for dipping
- Cut the bacon slices into small cubes (it’s much easier if the bacon is frozen). Set aside in a small bowl.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon from the pot and drain on paper towels, leaving 1-2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pot.
- On medium heat, sauté the garlic, shallots, and Thai chili pepper until shallots are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the wine to the pot and simmer until reduced by half. Add in the water, Sriracha sauce, juice from 1/2 lime, and ghee and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to high and add in the mussels. Cover the pot and cook for approximately 5 minutes (or when mussels are fully open).
- Before serving, squeeze the other half of lime over the mussels, sprinkle in the bacon pieces, and top with cilantro and parsley. When ready to serve, ladle the broth over the mussels and garnish with more herbs.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
- Before you buy the mussels, give them the smell test! The mussels should smell like the ocean – fresh & salty!
- You don’t have to eat the mussels as soon as you get home. Depending on the date, you usually can buy and store them in your fridge at home for a few days before eating.
- Freeze the package of bacon before cubing. It’s SO much easier to cut when it’s frozen! You can also cook the bacon slices and crumble them up.
- It’s mandatory to have crusty bread on the side for dipping into the broth! Slices of French bread or sourdough would be perfect!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 1406.5 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.1 g
- Protein: 52.1 g
- Cholesterol: 130.1 mg
Keywords: steamed mussels, seafood recipe, steamed mussels with bacon, smoked bacon