- 10 cups water
- 5 tablespoons Tom Yum paste (more for extra spicy)
- 8 kaffir lime leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 10 whole shiitake mushrooms or button mushrooms (stems removed)
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro (stems on)
- 1 pound jumbo prawns, head on
- Steamed jasmine rice
- In a large stock pot, bring the water to a boil. Add in Tom Yum paste (more if you want it to be spicier), kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, brown sugar, and mushrooms. On a low boil, cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste the broth and add more Tom Yum paste if needed. Add in the cilantro and prawns. Cook until prawns are pink and fully cooked (about 5 more minutes).
- Place steamed jasmine rice at bottom of a soup bowl and pour soup over the top. Garnish with more fresh cilantro.
Tom Yum paste can be found a most Asian markets and select specialty grocery stores. You can also buy it online: Tom Yum Paste
Kaffir lime leaves can be found a most Asian markets and select specialty grocery stores. I’ve also used the dried version from Thai Kitchen, which I found at Whole Foods.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 1894.9 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.8 g
- Protein: 27.6 g
- Cholesterol: 182.5 mg