I like my Thai soup hot and spicy, and this bowl of absolute yumminess will definitely warm your belly! It’s flavored with spicy Tom Yum paste, which can be purchased at most Asian markets but also online (Tom Yum Paste). This recipe has very few ingredients but packs a powerful punch, and the jasmine rice will temper the heat. If you can’t find jumbo prawns with the head on, simply use any jumbo shrimp you can find at the market!
- 10 cups water
- 5 tablespoons Tom Yum paste (more for extra spicy)
- 8 kaffir lime leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 10 whole shiitake mushrooms or button mushrooms (stems removed)
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro (stems on)
- 1 pound jumbo prawns, head on
- Steamed jasmine rice
- In a large stock pot, bring the water to a boil. Add in Tom Yum paste (more if you want it to be spicier), kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, brown sugar, and mushrooms. On a low boil, cook for 20 minutes. Taste the broth and add more Tom Yum paste if needed. Add in the cilantro and prawns. Cook until prawns are pink and fully cooked (about 5 more minutes). Place steamed jasmine rice at bottom of soup bowl and pour soup over the top. Garnish with more fresh cilantro.
Tom Yum paste can be found a most Asian markets and select specialty grocery stores. You can also buy it online: Tom Yum Paste
Kaffir lime leaves can be found a most Asian markets and select specialty grocery stores. I’ve also used the dried version from Thai Kitchen, which I found at Whole Foods.