This Spicy Scallop Ceviche recipe is almost too simple to make. Easy and impressive, the scallops cook themselves in citrus juices!
- ¾ pounds fresh sea scallops
- 2 lemons freshly squeezed
- Zest from one orange and freshly squeezed
- 1 lime freshly squeezed
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, freshly squeezed
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced or thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, seeded and small diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (more for garnish)
- Pinch of salt & pepper, to taste
- Clean and remove the small muscle from the scallops. Slice the scallops in half length-wise. Set scallops aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the juices from the lemons, orange, orange zest, lime, and grapefruit, stir together well. Stir into the bowl the garlic, jalapeño, radishes, onion, bell pepper and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the scallops making sure the scallops are soaking in the juices. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours (the scallops will cook naturally in the juices). Sprinkle more cilantro on top when ready to serve.
- Make sure you buy the freshest sea scallops. It should smell sweet, not fishy! I suggest buying frozen-fresh scallops for safe measure. Wild scallops are always best.
- Have your cleaned and prepped scallops ready to go. Once you get the citrus marinade together you can plop them in there and place in the fridge to “cook.”
- You can use whatever citrus you have on hand. I like the use of grapefruit in this recipe, just because I absolutely love the taste of grapefruit!
- I used regular red radishes but I love the pretty look of rainbow radishes too!
- For the spice level, you can use the jalapeños with seeds or without, to your taste. I like a little heat!
Keywords: ceviche, scallop ceviche, seafood ceviche, crudo