We’ve dished up a lighter version of General Tso’s classic recipe — our Skinnyish General Tso’s Shrimp and Tofu!
- 1 15 ounce block extra firm tofu
- ½ pound large shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail on)
For the Sauce:
- 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions, green & white parts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Black and white sesame seeds for garnish
- Steamed white or brown rice for serving
- Wrap the tofu block with a kitchen towel or paper towels to thoroughly remove moisture. Let sit for 30 minutes. Cut the tofu into even ¾-inch cubes. Peel and devein the shrimp and set both the tofu and shrimp aside.
- To make the sauce: In a small mixing bowl whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoison sauce, water, brown sugar, and corn starch until well-combined and not lumpy. Stir in the chopped green onions and set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a heavy wok over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the tofu until lightly browned on all sides. Add in the shrimp and partially cook, about 1 minute. Toss with salt and pepper and remove from the wok in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the wok over medium-high heat. Sauté until fragrant. Toss with the red pepper flakes. Pour in the sauce and cook over low heat until it starts to thicken. (Add in more water if sauce gets too thick.) Toss together with the shrimp and tofu, coating well with the sauce. Cover for 1 minute until shrimp is cooked through. Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds, and serve with a side of rice if desired.
Keywords: General Tso's Shrimp, Shrimp and Tofu, General Tso's Shrimp Recipe