Here’s a quick dinner dish that will become a family fave! Shrimp Sambal is a classic Malaysian dish, but ours is not your typical shrimp sambal recipe! We’ve roasted gorgeous purple cauliflower (you can use whatever cauliflower you can find) and chickpeas for texture, lots of veggies, fresh local ginger from Red Earth Organic Farms, and herbs for flavor. Of course, the spicy sambal oelek is the real flavor bomb here! This Thai red chili paste has freshly ground hot red chili peppers (bird’s eye chili), rice vinegar, and salt. It’s good on just about everything! But don’t go crazy or your mouth will be on fire!
This lovely bowl of yum has so many flavor bombs with the spicy shrimp, colorful purple cauliflower, tender roasted chickpeas, ginger and lots of herbs! Shrimp sambal is a winner for dinner!
Gorgeous purple cauliflower is milder, sweeter and nuttier than the standard white version. It’s also loaded with vitamin C, calcium and potassium!
Roast the purple cauliflower and chickpeas on a large baking sheet at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. They should be tender and slightly browned.
Freshly grated local ginger gives this dish a nice kick! This super aromatic ginger is from Red Earth Organic Farms in Georgia.
Stir-fry all of the veggies in a large wok and add the spicy sauce to coat. Toss in the shrimp last and cook for about three minutes until pink and curled. Top with fresh mint and cilantro!
- 4 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 head purple cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt & pepper
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (Thai red chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin wine
- Juice from 2 small limes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the cauliflower florets and chickpeas on a large baking tray. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons canola oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until crisp, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a glass mixing bowl, whisk together the sambal oelek, fish sauce, mirin wine, lime juice, ginger, and sugar.
- In a large heavy wok, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil over medium high heat until shimmering. Add in the shallots, garlic, and mushrooms, and stir-fry until shallots are translucent and mushrooms are slightly golden. Add the roasted cauliflower and chickpeas to the wok and stir to combine. Pour in the sauce mixture and stir the veggies to coat. When well combined, add in the shrimp and cook for about three minutes until shrimp is curled and pink. Remove the wok from the heat and sprinkle in the mint and cilantro, and toss to combine. Serve immediately with extra herbs sprinkled on top.
Keywords: Shrimp with Cauliflower, Stir Fry Shrimp, Asian Stir Fry Shrimp, Stir Fry Shrimp and Cauliflower
If you liked this recipe, try our Seared Chili Scallops with Baby Bok Choy
Shop products featured in this recipe: