Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Shiitake Mushrooms
I don’t know about you, but Trader Joe’s (a.k.a. TJ’s) is my go-to grocery store for just about everything! I swear, I shop there at least three times a week! One of my faves in the produce section are the shaved brussels sprouts. Such an incredible time saver, especially for this awesome recipe below. Of course, you can use your good old food processor to do the trick. This side dish goes really well with fish or chicken. See my Red Curry Salmon Kebabs to serve along side.
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, cut in half and sliced
- 4 oz. package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Cut off the hard end of the brussels sprouts, discard and cut brussels in half. “Shave” the brussels sprouts in a food processor, using the slicing blade. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with canola oil on medium high. Sautè garlic and shallots until translucent. Add in sliced shiitake mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the brussels sprouts and red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and almonds and cook another 5-7 minutes. Toss in cilantro and lemon.