Melt-in-your-mouth Sesame Seared Tuna is paired with a cheesy cauliflower mash made in the Instant Pot!
For the tuna:
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 (7-ounce) sushi-grade tuna steaks
- Salt & pepper
For the cauliflower mash:
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 oven roasted garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 (4 ounces) package cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Chopped chives for garnish
To make the tuna:
- Spread the white and black sesame seeds on the bottom of a shallow dish. Pat the tuna steaks with paper towels to dry. Brush each tuna steak with 1 tablespoon canola oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge each piece in the sesame seeds on all sides to thoroughly coat.
- Heat a heavy skillet or cast iron pan on high heat with remaining canola oil until oil starts to wave. Cook the tuna steaks on both sides for approximately 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan and let rest on a cutting board. When at room temperature, slice the tuna on the bias into about 1/2 thick slices.
To make the cauliflower mash:
- Add a steamer basket to the bottom of an Instant Pot. Add one cup of water.
- Seal the lid and set the Instant Pot on steamer setting for 10 minutes. Drain any liquid off the cauliflower florets and transfer to a large mixing bowl or food processor.
- Puree the cauliflower with a mixer or in the food processor, adding in the butter, cream cheese, half-and-half, and salt and pepper until creamy and smooth. Toss in the chives and more half-and-half if not creamy enough.
- Serve the seared tuna slices over the cauliflower mash, or on the side and garnish with more chives.
Keywords: best cauliflower mash, cauliflower mashed cauliflower with cream cheese, seared tuna steaks, pan seared tuna, sesame seared tuna