- 4 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped (or ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- Zest and juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 20 large sea scallops
- 1 pound fresh baby bok choy, ends trimmed
- In a medium glass bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon canola oil, garlic, chili pepper, lemon juice and zest, orange zest, basil, mint, salt and pepper. Add the cleaned scallops to the bowl and let marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature. Remove the scallops and pat dry, reserving the marinade.
- Heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add the other tablespoon to the pan. Sear the scallops until just done, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Place the reserved marinade in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, keeping marinade warm.
- Heat the same heavy skillet over medium high heat, with 2 tablespoons canola oil. Quickly wilt the baby bok choy in the skillet, adding salt and pepper to taste (optional). To plate, place several leaves of bok choy at the bottom of a dish. Top bok choy with the scallops and marinade. Sprinkle more basil and mint to garnish if desired. Serve immediately.
Keywords: scallops, seared scallops, bok choy, Asian recipe