This sweet and delicate Seared Chili Scallops with Baby Bok Choy recipe is a dish I could eat once a week! Honestly, it’s incredibly easy and so impressive when plated!
Scallops are quick-cooking, tender, and mild, and go well over just about any vegetable or grain. We plopped them on top of quickly wilted baby bok choy. The colors are just beautiful from the fresh basil and mint, and the pop of color and heat from the Thai chili peppers. Did I mention how low-fat this recipe is?
Watch this instructional video for a step-by-step to Seared Chili Scallops with Baby Bok Choy!
No guilt with this succulent Seared Chili Scallops recipe! Try to find dry scallops, they sear up so nicely!
Cook the scallops quickly on both sides in a heavy cast iron pan for that beautiful golden-brown sear.
Quickly wilted baby bok choy is deliciously paired with the seared scallops! Baby bok choy is ranked one of the world’s healthiest foods with 70 antioxidants, and it’s loaded with Vitamin A. Not only that, but it tastes really good! You’ll feel healthy just reading this recipe!
HOW TO MAKE STIR-FRIED BABY BOK CHOY:
This side dish takes only about 10 minutes from start to finish! Grab your wok and get started!
- Rinse the baby bok choy, cut off the thick ends and slice them in half. Pat the bok choy dry with paper towels.
- Heat canola oil in a wok on medium-high heat.
- Add baby bok choy and stir-fry until tender, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- That’s it!
Sweet and succulent fresh sea scallops are the star of this dish!
If you like this recipe, you’re going to want these recipes:
- Pan Seared Scallops with Zucchini Noodles
- Seared Scallops with Black Bean Sauce
- Grilled Octopus with Leeks, Thyme and Shallots
- Wasabi Seared Tuna
- 4 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped (or ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- Zest and juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 20 large sea scallops
- 1 pound fresh baby bok choy, ends trimmed
- In a medium glass bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon canola oil, garlic, chili pepper, lemon juice and zest, honey or agave nectar, orange zest, basil, mint, salt and pepper. Add the cleaned scallops to the bowl and let marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature. Remove the scallops and pat dry, reserving the marinade.
- Heat a heavy cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the other tablespoon to the pan. Sear the scallops until just done, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Place the reserved marinade in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, keeping marinade warm.
- Heat the same heavy skillet over medium high heat, with 2 tablespoons canola oil. Quickly wilt the baby bok choy in the skillet, adding salt and pepper to taste (optional). To plate, place several leaves of bok choy at the bottom of a dish. Top bok choy with the scallops and marinade. Sprinkle more basil and mint to garnish if desired. Serve immediately.
- Try to find dry scallops, they sear up so nicely!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 1125 mg
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 58.1 mg
Keywords: scallops, seared scallops, bok choy, Asian recipe