These Savory Butternut Squash Galettes are elegant, rustic tarts using store-bought pie crust and roasted veggies that are the perfect dish for your holiday table!
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 large shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, cut in half length wise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- Salt & pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) store-bought pie dough (or make from scratch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped and divided
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the butternut squash into 1/4-inch thick slices and place on a roasting pan in an even layer. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and Chinese five spice. On another roasting pan spread out the shallots and garlic and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. The cook time may be shorter for the shallots and garlic so check frequently. Remove the pans from the oven and let cool.
- Using either store-bought pie dough or made from scratch, roll out the dough on a well-floured surface and cut into three 6-inch rounds. I used an upside down cereal bowl to cut around for the perfect size. Then roll the 6-inch rounds to another inch larger so each circle is around 7 inches. Make sure to keep dusting with flour so it doesn’t stick to the rolling pin or the surface.
- Press each 7-inch pastry round into the cast iron pans making sure the dough goes up the sides.
- Into the center of each pan with the pie dough, spread out pieces of roasted butternut squash, shallots, and garlic. Then top with fresh basil and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Fold over the dough towards the filling. It should be about 2 inches outside of the center. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look perfect. It’s not supposed to! Brush the pastry rim of the galette with the egg wash and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven and sprinkle with more cheese and chopped basil. Serve while warm.
You can use a regular sized cast iron pan if you don’t have mini pans.
- Serving Size: 1/2 galette
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 240.6 mg
- Fat: 12.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.6 g
- Protein: 5.9 g
- Cholesterol: 32.7 mg
Keywords: galette, vegetarian, butternut squash, savory galette, savory tart