This healthy, nutrient-packed Roasted Carrot and Ginger Hummus is everything you’re craving in a fall appetizer! It’s creamy, sweet, spicy, and tangy. Dig in!
- 3–4 medium carrots (peeled)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans (chickepeas)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (save some for garnish)
- 3 round pita breads
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. place the peeled carrots in an even layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the carrots for 45 minutes (or until golden and tender). Remove and let cool, then roughly chop.
- In a large food processor, add the carrots, garlic, ginger, garbanzo beans, lemon juice, rice vinegar, tahini paste, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Process until smooth, then slowly stream in the olive oil until smooth and creamy (add more if you like it creamier).
- Taste the hummus and add in salt and pepper if desired, and fresh cilantro. Pulse until well-combined. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.
To make the pita points: Cut the pita bread into triangles. Brush the pita points with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toast the pita until lightly golden brown. Serve along side the hummus.
- If you want more heat in this hummus, add in a tablespoon of Sriracha sauce or sambal oelek.
- You can steam the carrots as well for this recipe, but it won’t have that wonderful roasted flavor that the oven brings.
- I like to drizzle a little extra olive oil on top of the hummus before serving, for extra creaminess.
- If you’re watching your carbs or to make this recipe gluten free, try fresh veggies for dipping into this hummus. Or, substitute the pita points with your favorite chips or pretzels!
Keywords: roasted carrot hummus, carrot dip, ginger hummus, hummus recipe