Up your spring veggie game with this delicious combo of fresh green asparagus and woodsy mushrooms in this popular Chinese dish — Roasted Asparagus and Shiitake Mushrooms. So easy and delicious!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed
- 1 large shallot
For the sauce:
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- While oven is heating, trim the asparagus stems, and slice the shiitake mushrooms and shallots. Arrange the asparagus spears and mushrooms on a baking tray in a single layer. Top with the sliced shallots.
- Make the sauce: Whisk together the lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pour on top of the veggies and toss if necessary.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until veggies are fully roasted. Remove from oven and serve on a platter. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and lemon zest.
- Look for asparagus that’s green and firm (not mushy). I like to use thicker asparagus spears for this recipe so they don’t shrink up too much in the oven.
- Some people like to eat the stems on the shiitake mushrooms. They tend to be very dirty and chewy, so it’s best to cut them off.
- This yummy sauce is good on many other roasted veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans. Or, toss it in a salad for a delicious dressing!
- Use the leftovers in a salad. Delicious!
Keywords: sesame asparagus and mushrooms, roasted shiitake mushrooms, roasted asparagus recipe