This fluffy Rice Cooker Coconut Rice with Lemongrass is rich, fragrant, and delicious with infused coconut flavors! It’s the perfect side with Asian-inspired dishes!
- Rinse the jasmine rice in a bowl until the water runs clear. This also helps release the starches.
- Place rice, coconut milk, coconut water, salt, and pieces of lemongrass in a rice cooker. Cover tightly with lid and let cook until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and the cooker turns to warm setting.
- Add in the coconut flakes and stir. Cover and let sit on warm setting for 10-15 minutes. When ready to serve, discard lemongrass sticks and fluff rice with a fork. Garnish with toasted coconut flakes.
- To toast coconut: Place 3 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes in a frying pan over medium-high heat and “dry fry” until light golden brown.
- This recipe works best with jasmine white rice, a long-grain, slightly sticky rice that’s typically grown in Thailand. Brown rice and other rice varieties will not work as well in this recipe.
- Rinsing the rice until the water turns clear is an important step in the process for perfect rice. It will remove the starches to keep the rice less mushy.
- I highly recommend this recipe with a rice cooker for the best results. You can do this on the stove-top as well.
- Plain water can be substituted for coconut water.
- Always fluff the rice after it’s cooked through. You can use a large fork or the flat spoon that comes with the rice cooker.
- I like to freeze my rice in an airtight baggie, laid flat in the freezer. Then you can simply microwave it in a micro-safe bowl when ready to serve.
Keywords: coconut rice in rice cooker, thai coconut rice recipe, fragrant coconut rice