Who doesn’t love pumpkin everything? These Pumpkin Manju Sweets are an awesome Asian treat using pumpkin puree as the sweet filling. You won’t believe how good these are!
- 1 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 large cooked sweet potato, flesh only (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 beaten egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper on top. In a mixer, beat sugar and butter together until creamy and smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time until smooth. Add vanilla extract and beat well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture, mixing well after each addition, until dough is smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the sweet potato, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and powdered sugar together until well combined and smooth. Set aside.
- To assemble the cookies: Generously flour your hands and working surface. Make walnut-size balls from the dough and press into 4-inch circles, making circles thicker in the center and thinner on the edges. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the filling into the center of each dough circle. Gather the edges together and pinch dough around the filling until sealed. Place dough ball, pinched-side down, on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Using your thumb make an imprint into the center of each dough ball. Place 4-5 pine nuts into each imprint. Use a knife to create thin slits around the tops of the ball to create a pumpkin look. Brush dough balls with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven until tops are lightly golden brown, about 15-17 minutes.
- This made-from-scratch sugar cookie dough is so simple to make. But feel free to “cheat” and pick up some sugar cookie dough at your grocery store!
- Using your thumb will help to shape these cookies. And a small knife will make the small slits that look a pumpkin.
- Egg wash is necessary for that golden brown finish. Don’t leave out this step!
- Make a double batch while you’re at it! These will be gone fast!
Keywords: best pumpkin cookies, chewy pumpkin cookies, japanese cookies recipe, bean paste cookies