Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, these Oven Baked Beet Fries are the perfect healthy side dish! Serve with a Spicy Aioli dipping sauce!
- 4 medium red or golden beets (or 2 of each)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
For the Aioli:
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a large baking tray in the oven while it heats.
- Peel the beets. Cut into thick slices and cut them into ½-inch strips.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the beet strips with the olive oil, salt and pepper to coat.
- When oven is preheated, remove the baking tray and spread the beet strips onto the tray in a single layer (do not overlap!). Bake for 15 minutes. Toss the beets and bake another 10 minutes. They should be nice and crispy. Bake longer if necessary. After removing from the oven, sprinkle the fries with a little more salt.
- To make the aioli dipping sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and sambal oelek. Serve on the side with the beet fries.
- Make sure when you cut the beets into strips they are somewhat similar in size so they bake up evenly. You don’t want over-burnt fries, right?
- Leave space on the baking sheet. They should not be overcrowded. Use two baking sheets if necessary!
- Preheat your baking sheet. They will come out much crispier this way. (Little know fact!)
- Toss them halfway into baking. Then the fries will get nice and brown on both sides!
- These fries are baked and are made from beets so they are not going to be as crispy as regular fries. But you can deep-fry them for extra crisp if you want!
- You can freeze the fries and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
Keywords: beet recipes, beet fries, beet and sweet potato fries, golden beet fries, redbeet recipes