This light and flavorful Miso Tofu and Bok Choy Stir Fry is made with a rich miso sauce, woodsy shiitake mushrooms, crispy pan-fried tofu, and vibrant baby bok choy.
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound baby bok choy, thick ends removed and sliced in half lengthwise
For the Miso Sauce:
- Discard the liquid of the tofu and tightly wrap the tofu block with a kitchen towel or paper towels to remove all of the moisture from the tofu, for at least 30 minutes. Cut the tofu into 2-inch cubes.
- Chop all of your veggies and set aside on the cutting board.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add the tofu cubes to the wok in a single layer. Sear on each side until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the tofu from the wok and set aside in a bowl.
- Add in the other tablespoon of oil and stir in the ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the shallots and shiitake mushrooms and stir-fry until mushrooms are slightly browned and shallots are translucent, another 2 minutes.
- Add in the baby bok choy, stir-frying quickly until just wilted but still green, about 1 minute.
- Toss the tofu cubes back into the wok and pour in the miso sauce, tossing until fully coated.
- Test for seasoning and add black pepper if needed.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and black sesame seeds. Serve while warm.
- I used extra-firm tofu in this recipe so it doesn’t fall apart during the stir-fry process.
- You’ll want to get the moisture out of the tofu. Take the block of tofu and wrap it tightly in a kitchen towel or paper towels for at least 30 minutes. (Or, use a tofu press to do the job!)
- The baby bok choy cooks very quickly (i.e., it will wilt fast!) so just give it a quick stir fry to it doesn’t get too wilted.
- Serve with brown or white rice if desired.
- You can easily switch out the protein in this dish if you don’t want vegetarian. Try chicken, shrimp, beef, or pork using the same ingredients!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 18.9 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
- Protein: 12.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tofu miso stir fry, ginger miso stir fry, miso tofu recipe, tofu stir fry