Ten minutes is all it takes to make this quick and easy Miso Soup with Tofu! This Asian-inspired version of the popular Japanese soup is salty, savory, earthy, and so nourishing!
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons miso paste (white or yellow)
- 2–3 tablespoons water
- 3 green onions with white parts, sliced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced (or white button mushrooms)
- 1 sheet of nori (dried seaweed), cut into rectangles
- 8 ounces silken firm tofu, cut into cubes
- Sliced scallions for garnish
- In a medium soup pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil, and then lower to simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, combine hot water, one tablespoon at a time, to the miso paste in a small bowl and whisk until smooth until there are no lumps. Set aside.
- Add the green onions and shiitake mushrooms to the broth. Simmer another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Slowly add in the miso paste mixture. Stir well until combined.
- Add in the nori strips and silken tofu cubes. Garnish with sliced green onions and serve while hot.
- Silken tofu is very delicate! Take care to slice the tofu block gently so as not to break up the cubes.
- Silken tofu is typically used in miso soup recipes, but you can use any type of tofu in this soup.
- You can add any green vegetables of your choice to the soup, like chard, kale, spinach, etc.
- If you don’t like shiitake mushrooms, feel free to use white button mushrooms. Make
- It’s important to whisk the miso paste with hot water to break up the lumps before adding to the soup.
- NEVER boil miso soup once the miso is added because it will lose its flavor and aroma.
- It’s best to use up this miso soup as the flavor doesn’t last more than a few days. If you freeze the soup, remove the tofu first because it will not hold its shape and will break.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 104
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 557.7 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.9 g
- Protein: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: miso, miso soup, tofu soup, miso soup with tofu, easy miso soup