Miso Butternut Squash Soup
This is one of my favorite fall/winter/spring soups! It’s just so easy to prepare and is loaded with all good things (vitamins A, E & C, fiber, magnesium, and potassium). Butternut squash tastes sweet when cooked and this soup is no exception. I highly recommend buying the squash already peeled and cubed so you don’t end up losing a finger trying to slice it open! You can top this soup with your favorite herbs and toasted pumpkin seeds. It’s hearty, filling, and healthy!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso paste
- Handful of chopped fresh herbs (like thyme)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs for topping (thyme or cilantro)
- 2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds for toasting
- Drizzle of crème fraîche for topping (optional)
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add in the squash and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, yellow miso, and herbs. Bring to a boil and cook until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and puree using either an immersion blender or standard blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Add toppings when ready to serve.
- To make the toasted pumpkin seeds: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Add raw pumpkin seeds to a sheet pan in a single layer, do not overlap. Spray pumpkin seeds with canola cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook in oven for 20 to 25 minutes, making sure to check them and toss the seeds periodically so they don't burn!
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017
- Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce November 19, 2017
- Mala Hot Sauce November 13, 2017
- Asian-Spiced Pork Chili with Butternut Squash November 6, 2017
- Jalapeño Corn Bread November 6, 2017
- Delicata Squash Stuffed with Turkey and Brown Rice October 30, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Tri-Colored Cauliflower October 23, 2017
- Pork Potstickers October 16, 2017
- Pumpkin Manju Sweets October 9, 2017
- Perfectly Purple Potato and Cauliflower Soup October 2, 2017