Boost your antioxidant levels with these drool-worthy Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes! They are as beautiful as they are delicious!
You can feel good about eating these yummy sweets because matcha powder is also a natural energy booster, so you'll be sprinting to the gym after indulging!
Matcha green tea powder is the secret ingredient in these delectable cupcakes! You can feel less guilty when eating these good-for-you cupcakes!
If you're not a fan of making desserts from scratch, just cheat (no one will know!) and use boxed white cake mix instead. Fluffy matcha green tea cupcakes can be made from scratch or with boxed cake mix!
Fill the cupcake liners ¾ of the way up and bake at 18 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
If you like this matcha recipe, you’re going to love my Gluten-Free Matcha Donuts! They are as beautiful as they are delicious!Print
For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons (room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- ⅔ cup skim milk
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners into cupcake pans.
Make the cupcakes:
- In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and matcha powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and continue to mix until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients in three batches until fully mixed, adding in the milk last.
- Fill the cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- CHEAT: You can use boxed white cake mix for this recipe as well, adding the matcha powder to the mixture.
Make the frosting:
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl and electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and incorporate well until smooth.
- Add in 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing until well blended. Add in the vanilla, matcha powder, and remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Frosting should be thick and smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- Matcha green tea powder can be found at select gourmet grocery stores and at most Asian markets.
- If you don't want to make the cupcakes from scratch, you can use boxed white cake mix for this recipe, adding the matcha powder to the mixture.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 29.4 g
- Sodium: 130.1 mg
- Fat: 16.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.8 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 65.9 mg
Keywords: Green Tea Cupcakes, Asian Cupcakes, Asian Dessert, Green Tea Dessert