Manju Red Bean Cookies
While eating my way through the sample tables at one of my favorite Asian bakeries in Atlanta (guilty as charged!), I popped one of these little delicacies in my mouth and knew I was destined to make a batch! Sweet red bean paste happens to be so good that you could eat it plain by the spoonful. But, please save some for the cookie filling! These cookies taste a lot like sugar cookies, with bean paste filling. For this recipe, I thumb-printed the tops of the cookies and inserted a few golden raisins. They are mmm-mmm good!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 17 oz. bag or can sweetened red bean paste
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 beaten egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use two baking sheets with parchment paper on top. In a mixer, beat sugar and butter together until creamy and smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time until smooth. Add vanilla extract and beat well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture, mixing well after each addition, until dough is smooth.
- To make cookies: Generously flour your hands and working surface. Roll 2-inch-size balls from the dough and form into 4-inch flat circles on your floured working surface. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of red bean paste into the center of each dough circle. Gather and pinch the edges around the filling until sealed to form a round dough ball. Place dough balls on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Using your thumb, make a thumb imprint in the center of each dough ball making a dent. Insert 3 to 4 golden raisins into the dent. Brush dough balls all over with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven until tops are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
Adapted from: KJ Lowe/All Recipes
Leave a Comment
Search Asian Caucasian Recipes
Asian Caucasian Recipe Categories
Recent Asian Caucasian Posts
- Grilled Baby Octopus with Nuoc Cham January 22, 2018
- Easy Thai Clear Soup with Chicken and Tofu January 9, 2018
- 10 Easy and Delicious Healthy Asian Soups January 8, 2018
- California Everything Bagel Sandwich January 1, 2018
- 10 Easy Asian Appetizers for New Year’s December 25, 2017
- Five Spice Pumpkin Bread December 18, 2017
- Miso Chicken Noodle Soup December 11, 2017
- Grilled Flank Steak Lettuce Cups with Nuoc Cham December 4, 2017
- Mixed Seafood Poké Bowl November 27, 2017
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry November 20, 2017