- 3 cups water
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5 sun dried tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons miso paste, more to taste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, more to taste
- 1 Thai chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Handful chopped cilantro
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup cooked French green lentils
- 1 cup chopped frozen kale
- Fresh, torn baby spinach leaves
- One cooked egg, sliced
- One slice of lemon
For the Broth
- In a heavy stock pot, combine together water mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, miso paste, soy sauce, chili pepper and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. Put broth back into pot and keep warm. Add cilantro.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa and lentils separately according to package directions. Combined once cooked and set aside to cool. Add kale to broth and cook 3 minutes. Take pot off heat.
- In a large soup bowl, place ¼ cup quinoa/lentil mixture at bottom of bowl and top with torn spinach. Ladle broth on top. Garnish dish with egg slices and slice of lemon.
French green lentils are firmer than regular lentils and maintain a nice green color. I have found them available at Whole Foods and Fresh Market.
Adapted from: Panera Bread
Keywords: Lentil Bowl, Quinoa Bowl, Asian Bowl