For the crust:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut flakes
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut flakes, dry toasted
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and butter until light and creamy. Add in the flour, butter, and salt, and mix until fully combined. Press the crust into an 8x8 square pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes until crust is light brown. Remove from oven.
- Make the filling: In a medium mixing bowl, blend together the eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, lemongrass, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Pour the filling over the crust and bake another 20 minutes, until set. Let cool.
- Dry toast the coconut flakes: Place the coconut flakes in a small skillet on the stove over medium heat and toast until golden-light brown (about 3 min.), stirring frequently to avoid burning. Remove from the pan and let cool.
- For the toppings: Sprinkle with toasted coconut and refrigerate for about an hour until fully cooled. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares when ready to serve.
- Most grocery stores carry lemongrass paste in a tube in the produce section, near the fresh herbs. If all else fails, you can always leave it out.
- If you're not following a gluten-free diet, then simply substitute the gluten-free flour with the same measurement of regular all-purpose flour.
- If you want this recipe less sweet, then substitute the sweetened shredded coconut flakes with unsweetened.
- These lemongrass coconut bars will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 25.8 g
- Sodium: 95.5 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 51.2 mg
Keywords: lemon bars recipe, easy lemon bars, gluten free lemon bars